Community, State and National Scholarship Opportunities
Acorn Equality Fund
We provide scholarships and organization grants to LGBT persons, organizations, and allies to impact lives in a positive fashion. To be eligible, applicants must retain permanent residence in the AEF service area of downstate Illinois (all Illinois counties except Cook, DuPage, Grundy, Kane, Kendall, Lake, McHenry, and Will) and attend any accredited, post-secondary educational institution.
Deadline: September 22,2017
Horatio Alger Scholarship
To be eligible to apply for the Horatio Alger National Scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled full time as a high school senior in the United States; be progressing normally toward graduation in spring/summer of 2018 with plans to enter a college in the United States no later than the fall following graduation
- Exhibit a strong commitment to pursue and complete a bachelor’s degree at an accredited non-profit public or private institution in the United States (students may start their studies at a two-year institution and then transfer to a four-year institution)
- Demonstrate critical financial need ($55,000 or lower adjusted gross family income is required)
- Be involved in co-curricular and community service activities
- Display integrity and perseverance in overcoming adversity
- Maintain a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0; and
- Be a United States citizen
Elks National Foundation Most Valuable Student Scholarship
To be eligible to apply for the Most Valuable Student Scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Current high school seniors, or the equivalent, who are citizens of the United States are eligible to apply.
- Applicants need not be related to a member of the Elks.
- High school graduates are not eligible to apply.
- Applicants must be citizens of the United States on the date their applications are signed; permanent legal resident status does not qualify.
- Male and female students compete separately.
Hy-Vee Foundation Scholarship
To be eligible to apply for the Hy-Vee Foundation Scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled full time as a high school senior
- Work for Hy-Vee
- Must be enrolling in college for the first time